Google is a mystery, and there is no need to mention its SEO algorithm. However, as per the press release published on May 23, 2023, Google has clarified that they consider topical authority and expertise as one of the many factors in determining search engine rankings.
So, what does topical authority actually mean? This refers to the subject matter expertise, trustworthiness, and relevance of a website on a specific topic. What are its advantages, and how can it impact search engine rankings? We will find it out soon.
Topical authority is a relatively new topic. So many of you will have uncertainty regarding this. This blog is designed to address all of them. Here are some key factors that contribute to topical authority in SEO:
- How notable a source is for a topic or location is considered the prime factor in determining website rankings. Search engine algorithms look at the history of original, updated, and high-quality reporting and citations from professional sources. This is why local news websites appear first in SERPs when someone searches for local events. Search engine bots also look at the domain authority and page authority of different pages on the website.
- Publishers should do exactly what their publications would normally do. in addition to providing great coverage of the areas they serve. So if you have a website, try to improve your internal linking aspect. It helps to understand the structure of your content and the relationship between different topics.
Expertise and Authorship
- Regularly updating content about industry trends plays a crucial role in improving topical authority. When Google bots crawl through your website, it should feel like your website is an expert in the field. For that, your website should contain everything from top to bottom that addresses the queries of your clients or customers. This could be done with the help of blog topics and also by answering FAQs on the page.
- Additionally, the expertise of the author who writes the articles on your website is also considered an important factor. It is necessary to prevent overwhelming AI-generated content from reaching the clients. So establish the expertise of the content creator through a bio, credentials, and relevant experience.
- Also called source reputation, it is a measure of how much credibility a website or its creators possess. Search engine algorithms understand publications that seem especially relevant to topics or locations. This is mostly applied to news websites where there are strict regulations to prevent fake news. As per the Google press release. Even journalists awards are considered to determine the authoritativeness of a news website.
- For example. A publisher first breaks a story, and it is recommended by other publishers in the same niche with backlinks. The search engine algorithm will assign the first piece of content as authoritative on a topic. This is in alignment with Google’s helpful content update.
- Trust is like a mirror. Once it is broken, it will never be the same again. When a website is trustworthy, it will be shared and widely discussed. This will naturally attract backlinks and social signals from reputed websites. This is a major parameter for topical authority and, most importantly, website rankings.
- Google Bot considers engaging content to be more authoritative. So make sure to improve user engagement by increasing the time spent on the page, reducing the bounce rate, and increasing user interaction.
Why Topical authority matters
To improve topical authority, it is essential to focus on providing valuable content that meets the needs of your target audience, thereby demonstrating expertise in your field. Topical authority is of significant importance in the field of SEO for several reasons. This comprises the following:.
Higher SERP Ranking
- Search engines, like Google, aim to deliver the most relevant and authoritative results to users. Websites with high topical authority are more likely to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) for relevant queries.
Improved End User Experience
- With all relevant contents present on the same website, it is easy for users to get all the details regarding a particular keyword or topic. It helps establish trust, leading to increased user engagement and loyalty.
Improved Website Visibility
- Depending on the industry, there may be intense competition for certain keywords. Topical authority ensures that your content is relevant to the topics you cover. It increases the chances of being displayed in relevant search results.
Enhanced Website Traffic
- Users are more likely to trust and engage with content that comes from an authoritative source on a subject. Naturally, this will attract more backlinks and organic traffic to the website. This, in turn, contributes to the overall SEO strength of your website.
Higher Domain Authority
- With search engines perceiving your website as genuine and trustworthy, they will assign you a higher domain authority. This will give you a competitive advantage and set your website on a higher pedestal than others.
SEO specialists all around the world are continuously trying to make their websites appear at the top of the search engine results page. But they invest most of their time in improvising aspects by overlooking the user experience. What they fail to understand is that search engines are evolving and strive to provide users with the most relevant and reliable information.
There are no shortcuts to search engine optimization success. Topical authority is just one side of the same coin. There are other areas to consider, including page speed aspects, mobile usability, and keyword utilization, which should also be considered when building topical authority. So whenever you optimize your website, involve yourself in the process by optimizing it for humans and not search engines. A day will come, and you will find yourself in the top position on the results, as you wish.