Google Algorithm update 2022-Latest Recommendations for website owners
In this blog of Google Algorithm Update, we see how the guidelines changed over the years and how it helps users set up their websites. We see in detail the new changes introduced and how following the new changes can produce a positive impact while establishing websites.
A page with guidelines for website owners was started in 2002. Following these guidelines helps Google index and rank websites which helps in ensuring the website appears on the Search Engine Result Page. This page gives the best actions that can be taken by website owners while establishing the website. If these steps are not followed it can lead to deindexing and this will result in the website not showing up in the search engine. This page gives a clear idea of do’s and don’ts while establishing the website. The page has been known as Webmaster guidelines since its inception in 2002. A lot of new information has been added to this page since then and it has helped and guided the site owners while building the website.
Introducing the Google Search Essentials
In the most recent Google Algorithm update, the latest version of Webmaster guidelines has been launched. The webmaster is an outdated term as the chances of people searching this particular term is becoming less. While searching for the new term, it was made sure that it was not something that is non-specific but catered to every content creator on the internet who wanted to showcase their content in Google search. Considering all the above-mentioned points, the new name was decided and revealed as Google Search Essentials in the Google Algorithm update 2022.
Along with the change of name, the latest Google Algorithm update has a few other changes in the update as well. In this new update, the site has been simplified by relocating some of the guidelines to specific sections where they belong. The next update was to categorize points that were in the former Webmaster guidelines. They were categorized into 3:
- Technical Requirements
- Spam policies
- Key Best Practices
Technical requirements are the bare minimum and simple. The content we publish must be in a format that Google can Index and access is given to Google. It is only the bare minimum that the Google search needs from the web page so that it is shown in the results.
The minimum technical requirements required to be indexed by Google search are:
- Googlebot isn’t blocked.
- The page works, meaning that Google receives an HTTP 200 (success) status code.
- The page has indexable content.
Spam policies highlight the tactics and actions that can cause a page or an entire website to drop ranking or be completely removed from the search engine. Sites that focus on following the right practices and providing the best content and ensuring a good experience for users are more likely to do well in Google Search Results.
The latest additions in the policy are:
- New deceptive behaviour related-topics such as misleading functionality.
- New section on other behaviours that can lead to demotion and or removals, such as online harassment, scam and fraud.
- Consolidated topics related to link spam and thin content.
Key Best Practices
Key best practices are the set of practices we can follow for the best outcome while creating websites. These practices help people find our website with much more ease and increase our site visibility.
Some of the main practices that can impact your website’s visibility and appearance in Google Search are:
- Create content that is audience-oriented, user friendly and authentic.
- Carefully select your keyword and make sure that the keyword will have a high search volume and it completely relates to the service that you provide. The keyword must be placed throughout the content in a thoughtful way and there must not be any keyword stuffing.
- The links that you provide must be crawlable so that Google can find other pages on your site via the links on your page.
- Apart from the written content if you have images and videos make sure that you follow best practices for these as well.
- Promote your website as much as you can. Check out different online forums and communities and platforms where you can meet people with similar interests and you can promote your products and services.
- Constantly monitor your website and keep the content optimised so that unrequired content can be removed and necessary modifications can be made.
It is very important to stay updated with the latest changes. This helps us to save time and have better decision-making. The latest updates in Google Search Essentials outline how following the latest updates along with the other guidelines helps us in setting up websites hassle free and the steps we can avoid that can affect the health of the website.